[Ardour-Users] Struggling to do anything at all

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Aug 3 23:44:59 PDT 2007

Andrew made some valid points there.  I could especially empathise with his
point about having his kernel compiled for the wrong CPU and I can't help
wondering if that kind of thing might be a factor in other stability issues.

I've been designing high end DAW's since the 1980's so I'm well aware of the
havoc that can be introduced by unexpected hardware niggles.  In fact, I
gave an example a few days ago where someone had under-specified certain
memory chips (in a proprietory design) leading to around 2 years' of
inexplicable stability problems.  I've "been here before" as the saying
goes.

It's a simple, though unpalatable, fact that you can't design a complex
product like Ardour to work on an unlimited range of unknown hardware.  In
the past, the big players used to alleviate this by producing their own
proprietory hardware and even their own OS's.  More recently, commercial
pressures have forced them to port their products to the mainstream OS's.
But even so, it's still rare for a high-end manufacturer not to insist that
the s/ware gets run on 'trusted' hardware.

I really admire the Ardour dev team for turning out a product with such
universal appeal but as any product grows in complexity, there comes a stage
where you simply have to start eliminating unknown quantities.  If you
don't, you end up with stability problems.  It's inevitable.  One could
argue that, under Linux, that stage can be delayed somewhat (at least in
theory) by the ability to build software on the specific platform that it'll
be running on - but, theory or no theory, there's an unavoidable tradeoff
between complexity and stability.  A requirement for weeding out the
unknown will always get reached, sooner or later.

I read recently that part of the SAE sponsorship deal will result in an
'Ardour lite' for want of a better expression.  Is there maybe a case for
keeping the 'lite' version as universal a product as possible - but maybe
for the 'pro' version, the developers should think about specifying some
'optimum' platforms.  This would be more in line with other high-end
products.  I just wonder what others think?

John