[Ardour-Users] Struggling to do anything at all

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Thu Aug 2 09:56:05 PDT 2007

On 2 August 2007 at 12:38, Paul Winkler <pw_lists at slinkp.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 09:30:44AM -0700, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> > ...  Eventually
> > someone in the software group created a program that would spew
> > sequences of individually legal events at the various interfaces
> > while recording those events.  The sequence of events was often
> > nonsensical, but each even was legal.  They found and squashed a
> > ton of bugs using this tool.
>
> Sounds like a form of fuzzing:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzz_testing

It seems very much so.  From the wiki, "[f]uzz testing was
developed at the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 1989 by
Professor Barton Miller...."  Folks I was working with started
doing this in 1981-82.  If I knew where any of those folks were
anymore, I should pat them on the back for being ahead of their
time.  I think it was less than a week from conception to the
first attempt at testing this stuff.  A "week" might be the wrong
number, but it was a very short time.  Of course, they worked on
it a lot more, and worked on fixing a lot of bugs for quite a
long while.

Cheers....

--
Kevin