[Ardour-Users] Plugins and stability

Matt Savigear mcs_ardour at savigear.com
Thu Aug 2 07:23:06 PDT 2007

With reference to stability issues popping up on the list, I have
generally found ardour2 to be pretty solid for my admittedly limited use.

My (non-technical) wife uses ardour more than I and has complained of
crashes which seem to be related to the use of LADSPA plugins (some
plate reverb, apparently). Is it possible for a plugin to bring ardour
down, rather than the snag being in ardour's plugin handling code? If
so, is there a relatively straightforward way of getting debug info for
the plugin? I haven't managed to report anything so far because I
usually only find out about crashes after the fact.

Alternatively, does it make sense to push the channels through something
like jack-rack and back in again, hosting the plugins outside ardour?
Will this protect ardour from crashes if the plugin goes down, and do I
lose anything (or gain any limitations or potential snags) by externally
hosting the plugin in this way?

--
Cheers,

Matt.

"You can say, 'Gee, your life must be pretty bleak if you don't think
there's a purpose.' But I'm anticipating having a good lunch." - James
D. Watson