[Ardour-Users] Struggling to do anything at all

Steven Chamberlain steven at pyro.eu.org
Thu Aug 2 06:17:02 PDT 2007

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the work that has happened so
far on Ardour, but I don't understand how anyone can use it do any real
work.  And with new features being added all the time, it seems even
basic editing can cause crashes and loss of data now.

	Issue 1:
  1. Create new session
  2. Capture a few regions
  3. Drag them around and adjust the start/end position (cropping)
  4. Hit 'undo' key a few times
Ardour crashes with 'pure virtual function called', or 'terminate called
without active exception' (or similar).

	Issue 2:
  1. Record a number of overlapping regions by looping over a punch range
Upon clicking stop, Ardour may consume all available memory and bring
the system to a halt, or audio data may disappear from some of the
tracks.  Otherwise:
  2. Adjust the start position a few times, for some or all regions to
set up crossfades
Ardour crashes (not sure of the error message).

	Issue 3:
  1. After a crash, try to load your work and hope it's still intact.
Several pages of these error messages, each id repeated 3 times:
  ardour: [ERROR]: Session: XMLNode describing a AudioRegion references
an unknown source id =57703
  ardour: [ERROR]: Session: cannot create Region from XML description.
  ardour: [ERROR]: Session: XMLNode describing a AudioRegion references
an unknown source id =58173
  ardour: [FATAL]: programming error: unknown region type passed to
Session::add_region()

Isn't this the issue discussed in "Stability and Session Errors
[FIXED]"?  If so I am using SVN 2219 from 2.0-ongoing, which includes
the patch from Sampo which I think was supposed to fix that.

Regards,
--
Steven Chamberlain
steven at pyro.eu.org