[Ardour-Users] Another looped punch region issue: disappearing tracks

Steven Chamberlain steven at pyro.eu.org
Wed Aug 1 09:38:23 PDT 2007

Steven Chamberlain wrote:
> After a few loops recording 8 tracks, I click on Stop when the playhead
> is *inside* the punch range, there's a pause, and then the new (fully
> overlapping) regions are shown and ardour becomes responsive again.  In
> some rare cases one of the tracks suddenly becomes blank

I upgraded to 4GB RAM to try and avoid the crashes I was experiencing
after doing a looped recording.  I've not yet had any crashes upon
clicking the 'Stop' button, but now I've been seeing tracks disappearing
much more frequently.

The image here shows how I've recorded punch ranges inside of a loop
range.  While recording, I see regions being created on all 8 tracks.
When I clicked 'Stop', audio data vanished from the Audio 7 track on two
out of four occasions:
  http://pyro.eu.org/stuff/ardour-uses-6GB-memory.png

I then selected all of the regions and hit the 'Delete' key to try and
remove them.  The system suddenly became very unresponsive and I
launched 'top s' to find that Ardour was using 6562MB RAM and the figure
was increasing!

Upon killing Ardour the system returned to normal.

Regards,
--
Steven Chamberlain
steven at pyro.eu.org