[ardour-users] noise during playback

Jordi Farran jordifarran at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 05:55:09 PDT 2007

Problem solved.

At first I thought I was running jack in realtime, but I was not.
There were some warnings when starting jack (so something was actually
wrong).

So I just edited the file /usr/security/limits.conf and added the
following lines to it:

@audio - rtprio 99
@audio - nice -10
@audio - memlock 4000000

("audio" is an user group, and you must be a member of this group.)

I will see what those values actually mean and what they exactly do to
my system... but I find now that I do not get any warnings or errors
when starting jack in realtime, my desktop goes really fast and, the
most important thing, those nasty noises during playback seem to have
vanished. Ah! and no more xruns even if I switch window, desktops,
etc...

thank you everybody,

Jordi