[ardour-users] making connections from inside of ardour

Dragan Noveski perodog at gmx.net
Thu Sep 28 08:32:56 PDT 2006

Paul Davis wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 15:59 +0200, Dragan Noveski wrote:
>
>> hi to the list,
>> i am enjoying very much the developing of ardour2, but i am still not
>> able to work with this seriously, because on my machine there still is a
>> bug, that i am not able to make any connections from inside of ardor
>> (input/output window on a mixer channel strip and also from the
>> menu-track/bus inspector or connections)
>>

> you are confused, an unfortunately common condition caused by my/our
> poor design.
>
> the "Connections" window has nothing directly to do with "making
> connections". in 0.99 it was a way to define specific configurations for
> input or output (a number of ports, plus what they are connected to).
> it is not necessary to use this in order to use ardour, and in fact,
> hardly anybody ever has. its future in 2.0 is unclear at this time.

ok, i am also not using this dialog, but i was thinking that not working
of it is related to the channelstrip i/o issue that i have. so i
understand, it is not.
>> in the channelstrip input/output window, as in the track/bus inspector
>> too,  i am only able to remove/create inputs/outputs, but trying to
>> connect, just nothing happens.
>>

> what actual interactions are you having with the dialog, since it works
> perfectly here, from a functional perspective.

well, i am trying to connect b.e. the output of the alsaplayer (or what
ever) to the channel-input .
when i open the "connect"window on a channelstrip (called "input"), i
got all the possibilities shown on the right side of the window, but as
i know from 99.2, clicking on b.e "alsaplayer-output-1" it should
connect to the channel-input-1.
in this dialog i am only able to remove/add inputs/outputs, but not to
connect to anything else.
do you understand what i mean?
> btw, sometime post 2.0beta3, the entire paradigm for connecting stuff
> together will change to use something close to Reaper's IO matrix.

so if i understand it in the right way, soon, that means on some other
level of ardour2-beta, the completely mechanism of making connections
will be changed?

very much thanks for the response,
cheers,
doc