[ardour-users] One very happy Ardour User

Andrew Johnston andyandtaya at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 05:04:49 PDT 2006

I have been plagued with JACK/Ardour issues ever since I got my new AMD64
3800+ Dual Core 2 gig RAM late last year, and at the moment running a 64bit
gentoo install.  Today I ran a memtest and found some slight errors in the
RAM, so I removed the offending 1 gig pair.  After updating to the latest
kernel sources and building it SMP (something which I haven't run for AGES
because of instability issues), I started a new ardour session and 16 mono
tracks all recording my adat 1 input.  I began recording, and then started
to use lost irc and firefox (Which is a bit of a memory hog, and something
that i'd never do during a real recording session) and I got up to 15
minutes without an xrun of any kind (not even the usual multiple user
exceeds xruns I so often had).  I stopped it there, and then have run
different sessions and tried to crash them the way I used to....ardour and
JACK solid as a rock!  So it seems this whole time (fingers crossed since I
haven't done extensive testing yet) that bad RAM was the issue.
I know this isn't particularly exciting for anyone else, but I thought I'd
like to share it and let people know that they should do a thorough memtest
if they are experiencing problems.
As far as I'm concerned ardour 0.99.3 64bit is as stable as it is going to
get.  Well done devs.

Andy