[ardour-users] 32 v 64 bit

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 19:15:07 PST 2006

> Fairly certain it does actually, may be able to answer that more
> certainly in a bit, my machine is rebuilding itself at the moment, 64
> Bit for the time being, I was going to try just compiling all my audio
> software and wine with -m32 first.  My only real problem comes with the
> ALSA drivers, and specifically the ALSA-Jack driver I am not sure how
> those will work, or even if it is a good idea to mix -m32 and -m64 on
> the same machine like that.  At the time I decided to try this I had
> just wiped it though to go back to 32 Bit from 64, so I didn't have much
> but an evening to lose, if that doesn't work though I may do the CHRoot
> thing instead I have decided.

Well I think I can stick a fork in this one, at least for the time
being.  It may be possible, and indeed probably is, however it would
take much more work than I have time to put forth at the moment.  For
the record in case anyone wants to follow up on this...

I patched the ebuild by hand to point to the lib32 directory instead of
using the call for get_libdirectory or whatever it is in the ebuild.  I
then also set up portage so I could pass custom CFLAGS on a per package
basis, and finally installed the appropriate emul-libs for x86.
Unfortunately the end result is when I started to get into the linker
causing problems(Linking to the 64 bit lib instead of the 32 bit emul
lib) I gave up, as I said, it is very likely possible to correct this, I
just don't have time right now to go digging, I need to get my machine
up and running as I have a few projects and possibly a rather intensive
job coming up very quickly.

So for the meantime I am reverting all of the above back to a standard
64 bit and going to just set up a chroot for now to emerge my audio
stuff in, its unfortunate but I think what I need to do.  I just have to
figure out what I am doing about audio communication between them, I am
wondering about using the alsa-jack and netjack plugins to shift audio
TO the chroot and run the jack daemon on my soundcard there, at least
until hopefully someone picks up and finishes the work on getting 32-Bit
and 64-Bit clients running on the same server::Hint Hint::  ;)

Anyways my thinking is, if all my audio software is in the chroot, then
most of what I would need going into it might be 2 channel, I might see
if I can dig up a cheap card to possibly pass AC3 or something for
movies if I ever start watching them again, suppose I will have to see.
  At any rate, at the very least it will let me confirm the VST in
chroot issue.

Is there any problem with running 2 seperate jackd daemons on the same
machine if one is in a chroot and one not?  Might be the only thing that
causes me to much problems at any rate.

                 Seablade