[ardour-users] low latency kernel problems

George Chan george at goodmusic.ca
Tue May 16 22:59:50 PDT 2006

Hi all,

I downloaded the latest 2.6.16.16 kernel source and applied the low
latency patch-2.6.16-rt14 .

Any later patches will not compile with various errors.

This patch, along with earlier ones compiles and installs OK.

Every time, it hangs at boot at the "testing NMI watchdog".
Appending in lilo with 0, 1 or 2 doesn't change anything.

I'm running a Slamd64 (based on Slackware 10.2) 64bit system with dual,
dual core AMD Opterons model#270 with an ASUS K8N-DL motherboard with
2x1GB registered RAM and an Nvidia GeForce 6600 GT video card, with an
RME 9632 sound card (along with the built-in intel8x0 card on the
motherboard).  I have 2 SATA drives, including one Raptor.

I've been using Slackware for about 8 years now, so I decided to stick
with what I know best.

The RME 9632 is recognized by the original kernel driver, but doesn't
quite work, apparently due to a bug in the original driver module which
is from kernel 2.6.14.6 (part of the reasoning in getting the latest
kernel).

Also, I don't know if the TSC issues with the AMD dual core chips have
been resolved yet.  I decided on this system after reading a post by
Paul who said to "buy the system that you want, because a fix is in the
works" concerning the timing issue.

I've had this system for a couple of weeks now, and I am more than a
little frustrated with the NMI watchdog issue.  It only happens after
the low latency patch is applied.

I have rarely had a problem that I could not figure out, but this is one
of them.

Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance.......

George