[ardour-users] Insufficient Jack Ports

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Fri Mar 31 07:35:37 PST 2006

On 3/31/06, BernieMan <bernieman at singlecity.de> wrote:
> Hello All,
> I am new to ardour and everything is running fine (what a great piece of
> Software).
>
> I have one problem:
> I recorded a couple of tracks without any problems.
>
> But when I try to add Track Number 9+ ardour says:
> There are insufficient Jack Ports available.
> You should restart Jack with more Ports.
>
> Question: How do I restart Jack with more Ports ?

What OS and version of Jack and Ardour are you running?

If you are on OSX and using JackPilot, it isn't that easy to do (which
is a problem Stephane, if you 're listening).  However you can
download and use QJackCtl which exposes more controls for starting
jack.  Get it from  http://ardour.org/requirements_osx   and read the
README included in the DMG.  Basically, you'll need to press Setup..
then select 'coreaudio' as the driver, type in /usr/local/bin/jackd
in the jack command field, and then select your audio interface by
clicking on the '>' button to the right of the Interface choicebox.
Then down near the bottom you'll see a Port Maximum field which you
should increase up to 256 at least.  Then hit OK, and Start.

If you are on linux the last part of the instructions still apply when
using qjackctl.

jlc