[ardour-users] disk to slow when running plugins

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Thu Mar 30 22:41:24 PST 2006

Quoting Peter Hagen <peter at wingsofdeath.nu>:

> Hi
>
> I'm running Ardour 0.99.2 with jackd 0.100.7. I have a session in which
> i embedded all my tracks. It is 8 songs, with the first 2 contain 24
> tracks and the other have 15 (need to import the rest). I started to
> place some busses with plugins for creating a mix (Tap EQ and Limiter).
> Now when i start playing a little before the end of the second song,
> Ardour will stotter, then stop and gives me this message "The disk
> system on your computer was not able to keep up with Ardour.
> Specifically, it failed to read data from disk quickly enough to keep up
> with playback.". But, if i deactivate all the plugins, it just keeps on
> playing. Are there any known issues with the plugins? and is there some
> way I can prevent this from happening, with using the plugins?

Sounds like a denormal issue. See

http://www.musicdsp.org/phpWiki/index.php/What%20is%20a%20denormal%20number%3F

for more information.

Try updating your plugins to the most newest versions. If this doesn't help,
try disabling all plugins and then enabling them one-by-one until you find
the one causing the issue. Then email the author about it.

The way denormals normally strike in ardour are in cases which you just
described: When a track has a plugin, and the playhead comes to a point in
the session where there is no more a region on the track. If a plugin has
some sort of feedback algo, the feedback will get smaller and smaller and
eventually it will fall into the denormal area and cause this issue.

  Sampo