[ardour-users] Using ardour with jack stream as audio source

Marc Brevoort kleinebre at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 28 05:50:22 PST 2006

Hello,

Thanks to the developers for writing such a wonderful software package. I
have a question that has been bugging me for a while. Is it possible to set
up ardour in such a way that it operates *without* stored audio, but *with*
automation (streaming audio from jack perhaps?)

I'm thinking this would be useful in at least two scenarios:

- to use ardour in combination with soft synth (preventing the need to
export the tracks to audio over and over again), or

- to stream audio into ardour directly from the disks of a harddisk recorder
(possibly resulting in better performance than streaming it from a PC
filesystem).

Is this possible? Has anyone done this? Are there any caveats I should pay
attention to?

Best regards,
Marc