[ardour-users] Files, created by Ardour, not recognized by any other programm...

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Mar 28 04:13:09 PST 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 15:59 +0400, Vadim Kupriyanov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I make new session, record sound. (I has tried Wave and broadcast
> wave) native format - if I open recorded sound (from Audiofiles), I
> can’t play it in any programm… Any idea?

what apps are you using to try to open them with? ardour uses 32 bit
floating point data, and many applications fail to open this perfectly
legal file format because they've never seen it before. this problem is
even worse on linux, where a bazillion apps implement their own code to
handle WAVE files and get it wrong.

my feeling is that if libsndfile, an open source library that works on
win32, win64, OS X, linux and most other unix-like operating systems,
can open the files, then its a problem with the applications and they
need to be fixed. if libsndfile's utilities (e.g. sndfile-info, sndfile-
play) cannot open them, its ardour's problem and it needs fixing.

--p