[ardour-users] mic preamps

James Rich james at chowhouse.com
Wed Mar 15 15:16:23 PST 2006

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Justin M. Streiner wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, for those of you using outboard mic preamps as part
> of your ardour setup, Are there any specific preamps that you've had
> especially good experiences with in terms of sound quality, reliability,
> etc?
>
> I'm in the market for something that will handle two or more channels, has
> S/PDIF out capability and is rackmountable.

I'll share the same good advice I got from the #ardour IRC channel.  A
company called Seventh Circle Audio (http://www.seventhcircleaudio.com)
sells preamp kits of famous preamps that you assemble yourself.  I built
some for my studio and they are indeed excellent.  These are the same pres
from API, Neve, and Jenson but cost far, far less.  Combine them with a
quality A/D and you're all set.

James Rich

I am not merely a "consumer" or a "taxpayer".  I am a Citizen of
the United States of America.