[ardour-users] DAW recommendations

Christopher Boggs c.boggs at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 12:23:18 PST 2006

There are a lot of knowledgable folks on this list so I'm sure you'll get
some input.

I myself don't really have a lot of first-hand knowledge of this stuff but
I've researched it a lot, so don't take this as gospel.  I've mainly tooled
with recording on my linux box using my SB Live so far...

Like you, and quite a few others on the list, I also plan on getting a Delta
1010 (eventually two, when I can afford it), and I am not worried at all
about what my PC will handle, mostly because it's an Athlon 64 3200+ with
DDR400 and SATA, and I don't plan on recording more than 16 tracks at a
time...  Really, while just recording, your CPU usage shouldn't be very high
unless your using software monitoring and applying effects in realtime...
I've noticed most of the time the only bottleneck most people deal with is
the hard drive..

I've read on lots of forums people whining about pops/cracks when trying to
record multiple channels at 96khz on the Delta 1010 with certain chipsets
(mostly complaints from people with VIA boards) but from all the reading I
have done, I have a feeling most of these people are having problems because
they are using Windows... :)  Not a single person had posted complaining
about Linux issues...