[ardour-users] DAW recommendations

Brett Clark Brett at ciscoinc.com
Wed Mar 8 11:58:53 PST 2006

Im currently using a Delta 1010 (like what you are planning on getting) with a Celeron 1Ghz, 1.2 Gig RAM (2x512,2x128), and an ATA133 100 Gig drive (formatted to ext3).  Just for reference, if i record 8 channels at 96 khz, then my machine runs at about 60% CPU load.  If i play back all 8 channels (w/o plugins) then its pretty nominal.  Im guessing at less than 10%.  Deductive reasoning would then tell me that i should be able to play back 8 channels and record 8 other channels at about 70% CPU load.  Of course the load halves if i drop down to 48khz SR.  Again, this is without any plugins.

Ive seen several postings in the past recommending an Athlon CPU, but im not entirely sure why.  If i had to build it all over again today i would probably make sure i had 1 Gig RAM, then spend as much as i had left over on the fastest Athlon i could get.  Even though i have not hit any bottleneck on the ATA133 HDD, i would still go with a SATA-2 drive for my next machine (possibly even striped if i had the extra cash).  Thats just my 2 cents worth.

--Brett