[ardour-users] G3 skipping/pausing during playback and mixing

Jedd Kettler littlekettler at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 21:48:48 PDT 2006

Hello all,
I am an Ardour neophyte and new to the list. I posted this message on the
forum, but then realized the mailing list was probably the place to have it.
Any help you can all offer is greatly appreciated.

I have been running Ardour on 2 computers, both using OSX 10.3.9. The first
is an iMac G3, 600 MHz with 128 MB SDRAM and the other is an iBook G3, 800
MHz with 384 MB SDRAM.

I love the possibilities with Ardour and have done some initial recording
with it, but have begun to see problems with my computers keeping up (mostly
skipping and pausing during recording and playback, but also some crashes).
I'm guessing these are a result of slow processor speeds but am hoping
(beyond hope?) that I can reconfigure something to help, at least until I
can afford a newer computer.

I'm not looking to work miracles, just want to eliminate the skipping at
least during mixing. My band and I have begun recording on another program
on a bandmate's PC, but I want to do mixes and other final work with Ardour
(the other program is limited in this respect, not to mention in the number
of tracks).

If a new computer is the only answer, do you have any recommendations? How
have the Mac minis performed with Ardour?

Any help and advice is much appreciated.
Thanks for reading,
Jedd