[ardour-users] Newbie help with dynamics in Ardour...

kannoll maillistnoll at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 26 15:13:17 PDT 2006

1. TAP Scaling Limiter (I've also tried the "Hard limiter") at
Post-fade. I've also tried this with the SC1 compressor inline
prior to the limiter.

2. Yes, I double-checked to be sure everything was unbypassed
and it "appeared" to be working (to my ear, and by watching
the meters).

Last night I just quit trying to record anything and started
playing with the settings on the limiter and compressor. For
the most part, that seems to do what I expect (of course my
expectations are changing as I learn more).

I've seen some other unexpected behavior, too, so I'm wondering
if it's just my lack of experience, or normal ardour behavior.

For example, quite often I'll have a track (1) patched to another
track or buss or the master outs with nothing else (no plugins,
no other tracks, etc), and the input to track 2 will consistently
be 3 db below the output of track 1 (track 1 output patched to track
2 input), based on the meters.

I suppose while I'm at it... I've noticed that if I tinker with
the plugin controls too much during playback, the GUI will hang
(playback will continue). In order to save my session, I stop
JACK which shocks the ardour GUI back to life, then I have to
save and close and restart ardour to get things working again.

--kan--