[ardour-users] Re: Freeze Function/external WAV editor

David Slimp rock808 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 09:32:47 PST 2006

Bringing up an old thread...
( I just found Ardour - great app - learning/reading as much as I can)

> Think of Ardour's editor as a workspace, think of tracks as workspace.
> Think non-destructive that is. Put LADSPA parameter automation into the
> picture. Why did you need an external soundeditor again?
>
> Wolfgang

I have been using Audacity for a while now.
It's got a great function to take out tape hiss / noise
(with  noise sample) .. can Ardour do this?
How, exactly?

There is a "wah-wah" effect (I guess much like a flanger),
but I have been through all the Ardour plugins and have
not found one that is able to have a period (time from
high frequency to high frequency) of the length that I want,
which is about 5 seconds, and also have the depth in
tone/frequency.  Maybe I just didn't find the right settings
in the multitude of Ardour plugins, but I did spend 2 hours
going through the plugins, and could have had it done in
2 minutes with Audacity.  Can you point me to the right
plugin with right settings?

With Audacity, I am able to find zero-crossings and trim
my audio at those points to avoid pops and clicks. I could
probably do something with a fade in Ardour, but why
keep that extra audio rather than just trim it out?  Is there
a way to find zero-crossings in Ardour?

These are just the few reasons I have wanted to be able
to quickly pop up an external audio editor from within Ardour
after my first week of use.  If there are Ardour equivalents
I'd love to know them. -- I have read the ENTIRE online manual
.. not that I remember every word :)

thanks,
David