[ardour-users] best file system for audio

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 20:17:17 PST 2006

On 1/19/06, Bengt Gördén <bengan at sunet.se> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 10:22:37AM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > >
> > > Just a quick reminder that ReiserFS has been around longer and is more
> > > code-stable than any other journalling filesystem on Linux.  If you're
> > > talking about Reiser4, I believe you.
> >
> > Thanks for keeping me honest. I was speaking more about reiser4 vs.
> > Ver. 3 of reiserfs. For me this is all rumor. I no longer worry much
> > about filesystem performance as I use multiple 1394 ext3 drives in
> > parallel.
>
> Ah. Now that's interesting. Would you care to run some tests on that?
> It would be very interesting to see the outcome of that. I use
> bonnie++ to do tests with.
>
> http://www.coker.com.au/bonnie++/

It's not RAID. It's a multiple 1394 disk set up that only works with
Ardour. Ardour decides which audio files go to which drives and
attempts to spread out the disk I/O over the three drives.

I wouldn't know how to run bonnie++ on that.....

I have played a bit with stuff like hdparm -tT running on all three
drives at the same time and seen that I get a lot more throughput than
I get to any single drive. I have 2 1394a drives on one controlelr and
1 1394b drive on a separate controller.

- Mark