[ardour-users] Fade creates new file and leaves the old one?

Brett McCoy idragosani at chapelperilous.net
Tue Jan 17 12:40:13 PST 2006

Matthew Polashek wrote:
> I end up with 10 files sitting in my track, as I tweak a fade, then when I move
> the soundbyte forward or back, I have to go and delete all the previous versions.
> Maybe I need to spend some time with the manual or something.

I think you are confusing regions in the playlist with files (they
aren't the same, you can have many regions that actualyl come from a
single file). Each time you record something on a track, it becomes a
region, and each subsequent one gets placed over top the previous, so
you have layered 'takes' (if you have ever used the Gimp or Photoshop
and used the layers tool, it is kinda like that). Only the topmost
region is 'active' when you audition the track. When two regions
overlap, a crossfade is automatically created between the two.

More info here:

http://www.ardour.org/manual/editing:crossfades