[ardour-users] Survey - what sound card/interface are you using with Ardour?

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Sun Jan 1 09:15:08 PST 2006

On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 12:29 -0600, Christopher wrote:

>>This is just to help me in making my decision as to what interface to
>>use in my recording setup, which is currently comprised of Fedora Core
>>3 and Ardour and a crappy old sound card.
>>
>>What interface(s)/sound card are you using?  I know alot of it depends
>>on the amount of channels you need, so this is mainly for the people
>>using smaller setups for home studio recording or small projects.
>>
>>Of course, I'd like the most bang for my buck, but currently I really
>>only need maybe 4 or 8 channels of A/D conversion.  But my biggest
>>concern is driver support.  I know RME has a good record of putting
>>out linux drivers, but are there any other companies that do the same,
>>even for more sophisticated cards?
>>
>>So, I guess one of my questions is, would it be better to have an
>>external converter and use an interface card, or a dedicated card that
>>does the A/D conversion?

I use the Delta 66, works great for me. Currently I just use the 66's
breakout box, but I'm on the lookout for a deal on the Omni I/O. It's an
expanded breakout box with mic/instrument preamps, otherwise I assume
it's the same as the box that comes with the 66.

Results can be heard at http://linux-sound.org/ardour-music.html.

Best,

dp