[ardour-users] external midi controller in os x and few other questions

Libero Mureddu libero.mureddu at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 11:42:54 PST 2006

Hi to everybody,
I'm new to the list even if now I'm using ardour since 5 months and at
the moment is my primary DAW software on my machine. Congratulations!
I'm using ardour everyday in many different projects and I'm really
enjoying it!

The new 0.99-1 tiger release works perfectly on my ibook g4 with mac os 10.4.4.

I'm using ardour not only to record, but also as tool for live
performances, in order to use ladspa plugins. That's why I'm trying to
connect an external midi controller to have a more easy access to the
plugins parameters.

Unfortunately, I have some problems connecting the external controller:

1) my ardour.rc file, as default doesn't include the line <MIDI-port
tag="coremidi" device="ardour" type="coremidi" mode="duplex"/> as
explained in the manual. So I tried to put this line manually, but I
don't know in which part of the xml file it has to be inserted. Can
you help me?

2) I'm using a physical midi hardware, do I have to define some
virtual ports or not? I think I didn't understand well the explanation
in the manual.

My setup is the following: midisport4x4 connected with a doepfer
pocket fader (midi controller).

Also, in my version of ardour, I don't have the midi panel in the
option editor window, and the midi panel of qjackctl is grey and I
cannot select it.

Few other questions:
1) The meters in the mixers reacts a bit in a irregular way: sometimes
they go to a certain level according to a certain sound, and
immediatly after they don't do the same for the same sound. This makes
a little hard to set the recording level.

2) Maybe this is not the right place to send this, in case I apologize
for that. I have to change my audio device quite often, because
sometimes I use the internal mac card, and sometimes an external
device. It seems that with qjackctl this is not possible, so I have to
open jackpilot, turn off jack, change the preferences, turn on jack,
and finally switch again to qjackctl that is much more handy than jack
pilot. Any help for that?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Best regards

Libero Mureddu