[ardour-users] How come it freezzes?

D R Holsbeck drh at niptron.com
Tue Feb 7 09:05:33 PST 2006

I seem to be having an issue whith the GUI freezing up, to the point I
need to reboot the system to get it going again. And I mean the whole
gui is unresponsive. Even killing the X server does not reset the
display.

The mouse moves but no control. But the processes seem to continue
underneath, the recording/playback continue, etc. And I can ssh into the
box while the gui is frozen.

This seems to happen when trying to move the transport back an forth in
the editor. Or sometimes scrolling a window.

I am running Debian mostly stable, using a vanilla 2.6.15.2 kernel. This
happens on my dual PIII with a via mb, and my thnkpad PIV with the intel
chipset. So it seems to me that it is not HW related, but I could be
wrong.

Anybody have any ideas? I know its not much to go on, but I thought
maybe someone had a recipe of some setup that works, or dose not work.

I would rather not completely completly reload the systems.

Cheers
DuWayne