[ardour-users] New Ardour Release - 0.99.1

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Mon Feb 6 16:05:52 PST 2006

On 2/6/06, Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc at doink.com> wrote:

> > > Could someone please expand on what this is?  I have a 64-bit
> > > dual-core Athlon, and I'm wondering how I'll be affected.

We had added SSE assembler routines to optimize the peak metering and
audio mixing primitives.  Previously these were only available on
non-64 bit machines, now we have both the 32 and 64 bit versions
working.  Also, these optimizations are now enabled by default both at
build time and run-time, but will only operate if the system supports
SSE (most modern systems do).  To disable the optimizations at runtime
(in case of trouble, or curiosity about the improvement) use the -O
command line option.

> Is this related to the AMD64 issue where jackd & ardour work fine for
> some amount of time, and then suddenly there are lots of xruns?  As I
> recall this is a bug in the CPU which was going to be worked around
> by jackd.  Maybe these issues are completely unrelated, but I don't
> know how to tell.

No, that is related to clock source timing and is a totally unrelated
jack-specific issue.

jlc