[ardour-users] Error loading sound files

Juan Aboites jaboit at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 20:29:55 PST 2006

Sampo Savolainen wrote:
> Quoting Juan Aboites <jaboit at gmail.com>:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I recently moved some projects to another drive, but one is failing to
>> load soundfiles with an error dialog saying something along the lines of
>>
>> "can't load sound file. see programmers".  I noticed the paths in the
>> error message were all pointing to where the session used to be, so I
>> think that's the issue. I looked in the instant.xml file but there was
>> nothing about soundfile paths, just geometry stuff. How do I get ardour
>> to look for the files where they are? I'm on OSX 10.3, ardour 99.3
>>

> Are these soundfiles recorded in ardour or imported?
>
> Do you see any absolute paths for the .wav files in the .ardour file of the
> session in question?
>

>   Sampo

Yes, the soundfiles that do not load were imported (linked). There is no
path (or any) information for those files in the .ardour session file,
but now when I open the session the error messages do not appear, so I
assume I must have inadvertently saved the session and written over all
of that information. That was the issue, but I assume there's no way to
recover the work I lost with my mistake. Right?

As a side note - when I moved the session to its current place I moved
the directory that contained all of the source material as well (these
source files were simply in a folder inside the session folder), so I
assumed that ardour would know where to find the files. I don't know,
but maybe it would be useful to implement a feature where if the linked
files are somewhere within the session folder (or sub-folder within)
their locations would change in accordance with any location change of
the session folder itself.

As always, thanks for the hard work and an excellent program

juan