[ardour-users] monitor questions

Christopher Boggs c.boggs at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 07:00:16 PST 2006

On a generic sound card, you have levels for playback of inputs, as well as
a capture level for whatever input you have selected (usually one at a time
for most cheapo sound cards)

If you're mic was plugged into the soundcard, then you could achieve
"hardware" monitoring or as close as you can get to it by leaving the
capture level where it is (on the recording section of qamix, alsmixer, etc)
as the send to ardour, but then turning up the playback level of the input
you're using (such as Mic or Line In on the Playback section of the mixer)

That essentially does what Mark mentioned, it routes the signal coming on
that input directly to the hardware outputs.

Hope I helped, or at least didn't confuse it worse :)