[ardour-users] [OT] Linux, Windows driver philosophy [Was: A decent sound card for Ardour]

Forest Bond forest at alittletooquiet.net
Mon Dec 18 09:06:49 PST 2006

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 02:05:08PM -0000, John Emmas wrote:
> I'm entirely new to Linux and I must admit, I've been less than impressed
> with its clunky and patchy method of installing drivers.

It is worth noting that the general approach to drivers for any decent Linux
distribution is that you shouldn't have to install a driver, _ever_.  If your
hardware doesn't work out-of-the-box with your distro, it is a bug.  In the
Linux world, drivers are maintained as part of the kernel.  Consequently, your
system _should_ ship with all of the drivers you need to operate your hardware,
unless those drivers are just plain not available (which can be the case for a
variety of reasons).

One of the most important things to realize when switching from Windows to Linux
is that Linux systems don't work like Windows systems, and aren't intended to.
In my opinion, the amount of work that one has to do to get all of those drivers
installed on a typical windows machine is quite hefty.  Me, I just boot into
Ubuntu and the drivers are already there, and usually working correctly, without
me having to do a single thing to make that happen.

-Forest