[ardour-users] Intel EM64T and Ardour+VST

. intent at netpratique.fr
Tue Aug 22 18:39:39 PDT 2006

Hello,

I have a new computer based on a dual core2 Conroe E6700 Intel and i intend to
install a Gentoo distro.

My main usage will be of course running Ardour :)

My problem is that i am a quite unaware of the issues regarding 64bit support.

I would like to run VST when it will be stable for ardour2, and i am afraid
that wine won't work in 64bit mode.

In this case will it be possible to have a version of ardour compiled with
EM64T optimisation on a 64bit gentoo running VST plugin with wine in 32bit ?

Ouch :)

On a wider scope, i will be happy to hear report from people using 64bit
version of linux, specially if the Ladspa plugins compile/run fine. Is it
really faster, does ardour benefit from the 64 bit mode ?

And if there are things to know concerning Gentoo compiled for 64bit support,
feel free to email me privatly or not (depending of the relation with ardour)
because we can not change the compiler flag in Gentoo without reinstalling
everthing and i am tempted to stay in 32bit i686 for a year or so.

Thanks !

NR