[ardour-users] Newbie questions

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 10:04:10 PDT 2006

Hi

I'm a total ardour newbie. Spend last night on playing with ardour and I
have a few things I can't figure out:

1) I have about 20 or so tracks, som not playing. Will muted tracks take
up a) memory and b) CPU?

2) I have 12 tracks that make up backing vocals. They are panned + their
individual volume ok, and I assigned them to the same group. I'd like to
EQ them and apply in one go, and thought groups would offer me that
possibility, but it seems not. How do I go about putting them on a
stereo track for prossesing? I'd like have things dynamically running
(so not mixing them down), is that much more CPU-expensive?

3) I get quite a few xruns when running my test-project together with
ams + zynaddsubfx + specimen + seq24 although my cpu level is well below
50%. My sound card operates at 48000hz but I did the project with jack
running at 44100hz (due to some now resolved issue with zyn). Could this
be the cause of my xrun problems? Is there anyway to convert the project
to 48000 (quality loss is not that important, since it's mostly for
seeing how the system behaves with the same material at 48k)?

This is all with ardour1 from ubuntu /dapper 6.06 on a Pentium M 1600
laptop with 1G ram and 100G 7200 HD.

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte