[ardour-users] time stretch then shrink

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Fri Apr 28 05:22:34 PDT 2006

Quoting Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc at doink.com>:

> I'd like to slow down a song, record a new track, then speed up the
> song, including the newly recorded part, to *exactly* the tempo that
> it was when I started.  I would need to do this without any pitch
> shift.  Can this be done with ardour?  If so, how please?  For what
> it's worth, a 10% time shift should be enough, maybe even less than
> that would do.

You can use the "timefx" tool in ardour to stretch sound without altering
the pitch.

One way to do this would be to record a rough mix of the session in one
track (connect track inputs to master out, don't use software monitoring).
Then mute other tracks, stretch/shrink the rough mix and play on top of the
modified mix track. Then remove/mute the rough mix track, unmute other
tracks and stretch/shrink the recorded signal to the correct length.

The algorithm for time stretching in ardour isn't very high quality. So
results may wary depending on the signal and your expectations. ;)

 Sampo