[ardour-users] FIFO and running as root.

Vegard Lima Vegard.Lima+ardour at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 16:00:09 PDT 2006

On 4/22/06, chris simpson <chris.m.simpson at gmail.com> wrote:
> My current setup is an Athlon 2100+ XP, 1GB 2700DDR ram, delta 44, running
> fc5, 2.6.15 vanilla kernel with RT patch and jack using ramfs. After hacking
..

> My problem though (not that it has posed a great problem yet), is I have to
> run all these applications as root. Basically, jack (or qjackctl) can't
> setup FIFO stacks (on ramfs) as a non-root user. This affects any jack
> clients as well, because unless they're also root, they can't connect to
> jack. Is there a great danger in running audio applications as root, and if
> so, how can you allow FIFO stacks to be setup by a non-root user?

Hi,

everything you need to run jack at non-root is all there in fc5.
You'll probably need to tell jack to use /dev/shm as tmp-dir.
Something like: ./configure ----with-default-tmpdir=/dev/shm

Then you need to edit /etc/security/limits.conf.
Something like:
username         -       rtprio          100
username         -       nice            -10
username         -       memlock         4000000

That should be it.
...and you're right btw, ardour rocks! :-)
--
Vegard