[ardour-users] FIFO and running as root.

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Sat Apr 22 11:35:37 PDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 21:50 +0200, Esben Stien wrote:
> Jan Depner <eviltwin69 at cableone.net> writes:
>
> > I run my audio apps as root and see no major problem with doing that
>
> Well, with superuser privileges a badly coded app might clean out your
> hd.

    28 years as a sysadmin - no problems yet.  I'll let you know when I
have one ;-)  Seriously though, I'm very careful about what I run as
root.  That's what Jack O'Quinn was pointing out in his reply.  If, as
Mark Knecht has hypothesized, some developer goes postal at some point
in the future and puts some nasty code in his open source app, I'll
probably hear about it long before I run it.  I tend to stay with a
system that works for quite a while before I upgrade.  But, if all of
the stars align and the moon is in the seventh house, and I wipe my
system out it really won't bother me much because I have everything
backed up on 3 different systems (not to mention DVDs, CDs, thumb
drives...).

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and
this we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744