[ardour-users] Ardour on Mac os X/Mac Intel - no tiene slots PCI

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 17:35:10 PDT 2006

On 4/12/06, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando at ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:

> > > No. Not powerful enough and the hard drive isn't all that fast.
> >
> > Ok, I will traslate it to spanish, I am fowarding this mail
> >
> > (Mark Knecht posee una Mac Mini Intel)
>
> [I think there might be a misunderstanding here, I'm not positive that
> Mark has an _intel_ mini, he certainly does have a ppc mini]

Thanks Fernando. Indeed, my Mac Mini is Power PC based and NOT Intel
based. Sorry for any confusion. I suppose I didn't read the title
carefully enough. I don't remember Intel being mentioned in the
original post. If I missed it I am sorry.

I don't think this actually effects the other answers I gave about the
Mac Mini and it's form factor - I.e - no PCI slots, USB & Firewire
sound expansion only, and a slow disk, although the disk in the
Intel-based design could be faster. I don't specifically know if the
Intel-based Mac Mini has OpenFirmware to allow it to boot from an
external drive (as I sometimes do with Gentoo on this machine for fun)
but I would expect that it does as this is a very standard Apple
feature.

One interesting question that was originally asked was to the speed of
the Mac Mini and whether it was fast enough to build a studio around.
I would not think that the PPC Mac Mini would be enough, but Apple
advertises the Intel based version as 4 times as fast. I think that
should be enough to do some serious work if it's true.

It's good to have friends who speak so many languages! Thanks for helping out!

Cheers,
Mark