[ardour-users] feature idea: draggable measure lines

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Thu Apr 6 09:04:57 PDT 2006

On 6 April 2006 at 11:16, Paul Winkler <pw_lists at slinkp.com> wrote:

> Just wondering if this would be useful to anybody else...

Absolutely!

> I sometimes record live musicians without a click track and
> then want to line up the bars and beats with what they actually
> played.  Sort of the opposite of time-stretching the music to
> match the grid.  I want to stretch the grid to match the music!

Yes, I've had to do this too.

> I can do this today, but holy cow it is tedious.

You bet it is.

> Yesterday I spent almost an hour doing this for under two
> minutes of music.  I know my drummer's not a pro, but hey, I
> did this with a Led Zeppelin track once to figure out what the
> heck they were playing, and the tempo was all over the place.
> Humans are like that. Sometimes it sounds better that way.

After playing rock bands for quite a while I ended up playing
with a college pep band under the direction of a marching
band professor and former jazz drummer.  Wow, did that change
my perception of time.  Going back to rock bands I was much
more adept at noticing time, and playing in time.  With more
experience I was able to readapt my groove to my new timing
accuracy in rock settings.  In some cases I had to work really
hard to get my bandmates to even think it was a good thing to
improve timing -- such is the life of a drummer. ;-) Now I'm in a
band with a guitar player that has better timing than anyone I've
ever met.  I've been playing in that band for about 5 years now.
The other day I listened to Metallica's "And Justice for All" CD.
It was really hard to listen to the drums since I now notice the
timing problems and Lars' stiffness trying to stay in time.  It's
a bit sad since that's been one of my favorite CDs in the past
which I hadn't listened to for a while.  OK, that was OT.

Cheers....

--
Kevin