[ardour-users] protools and native format import

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 09:11:27 PDT 2005

On 9/19/05, Joe Hartley <jh at brainiac.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 07:52:37 -0700
> Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > This issue has come up numerous times in the non-Ardour world.
> > Everyone wants to import Pro Tools files, but to the best of my
> > knowledge there is no way to do it. DigiDesign has kept their session
> > file formats proprietary so I think it would have to be reverse
> > engineered.
>
> Agreed, PT is going to be problematic, but it seems like Steinberg at
> least makes an attempt to play nice by having a way to export OMFI,
> which might help out down the road.
>
> Arrrgh, I might just pillage the net and see if I can find the Avid
> OMFI spec in the booty.

There is some suppotr for OMF in digi's world. They make a product
called DigiTranslator which supposedly does OMF translation so if
there was a person running Pro tools taht wanted to come to Ardour
maybe that would be an option.

I just looked at the software comparison chart fo PTLE vs. M-Powered.
Apparently there is no support in M-Powered for DigiTranslator.

- Mark