[ardour-users] protools and native format import

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 07:52:37 PDT 2005

On 9/19/05, Joe Hartley <jh at brainiac.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 05:33:42 -0700
> Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Run sndfle-info onthe audio file. It should be OK. I've not had any
> > problems with files recorded in PT and PTLE.
> >
> > - Mark
> >
> > On 9/19/05, Alessandro De Zorzi <lota at klez.it> wrote:
> > > Is possible to import file recorded by Protools III PCI 44.1 kHz
>
> This ties in with a question that came up for me last week.  I had
> a friend bring over some sessions he'd done at another place, wanting
> to do some remixing here.
>
> It was easy enough, if tedious, to bring over each of the WAVs associated
> with the tracks and paste each into a different ardour track, but I
> lost any information on the previous mix.  (Not that was necessarily bad!)
>
> It made me start thinking about session migration, though.  I'd gotten
> .cpr files for each session which I *think* is a Cubase session file,
> and also OMFI files, which I think are supposed to give me the session
> information in a more portable format.
>
> So...  is anyone awayre of any work that's been done to import either type
> of session to Ardour?
>
> I might actually dive into the OMFI stuff, since that spec seems to be
> available, but it looks like the CPR is proprietary and closed by
> Steinberg.
>
> Thanks!

This issue has come up numerous times in the non-Ardour world.
Everyone wants to import Pro Tools files, but to the best of my
knowledge there is no way to do it. DigiDesign has kept their session
file formats proprietary so I think it would have to be reverse
engineered.

WRT PTLE session files, I would expect that with the release of Pro
Tools M-Powered there will be more users of Pro Tools at the low end
and hence more opportunities to look at session file compatibilty in
the future.

- Mark

- Mark