[ardour-users] Ardour not showing as MIDI client?

Stephan Neuhaus sten at artdecode.de
Sat Sep 17 13:43:21 PDT 2005

Paul Davis wrote:
>><?xml version="1.0"?>
>><Ardour>
>>   <MIDI-port tag="Delta 1010" device="/dev/snd/midiC0D0"
>>type="alsa/raw" mode="duplex"/>
>>   <MIDI-port tag="PCR" device="/dev/snd/midiC2D0" type="alsa/raw"
>>mode="duplex"/>
>

> you are suffering from the usual out-of-date ardour.rc problem that we
> still don't know how to solve.

Aw, damn.  If this is a FAQ, I'm sorry.

> [...]
> better yet update your ardour.rc file and you will avoid the "unknown
> command" messages you get during startup.

Yes!  Thanks a lot, that did it.  I just moved my ardour.rc away and let
ardour create a new one for me and everything was fine. (Even though the
ardour-created file now contains *three* <MIDI-port> tags, two "raw"
ports and one "seq" port.) I can now control ardour's faders with the
Edirol's controls.  I'll probably write a section for the Ardour manual
on this, but it's really simple; you can go by the BCF howto.

I've thought about how one might go about solving the problem of the
out-of-date config file, and it's quite difficult.  In the only other
instance I have encountered where this was a problem, all messages were
machine-generated and thus not prone to human alteration.

Anyway, thanks for your help,

Stephan