[ardour-users] Ardour-beta30 - a repeatable crash here doing copy/paste

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 19:17:36 PDT 2005

On 9/14/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/13/05, Geoff Beasley <songshop at bizmedia.com.au> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 17:46 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >    This happens on my machine:
> > >
> > > 1) Create a track and record 16 bars
> > > 2) Select the recorded region and shorten the region from the front so
> > > that you are left with only the last 4 bars.
> > > 3) Slide the new, short sub-region back to bar 0
> > > 4) Right click the region and choose Edit->Copy
> > > 5) Move your mouse to the end of the sub-region, right click and
> > > choose Edit->paste at mouse position. A new copy is placed but more to
> > > the right than it should have been.
> > > 6) Slide the second region so that it comes after the first.
> > > 7) Move your mouse to the end of the second sub-region so that you see
> > > a hand and a box in the upper right corner of the second sub-region.
> > > 8) Right click the mouse.
> > >
> > > Ardour is completely gone.
> > >
> > not for me mate. works fine. the region is offset tho as you report, but
> > no crash.
> >
> > cheers,
> >
> > Geoff.
> >

> Thanks Geoff.
>
> AMD64 issue maybe? It's repeatable here in two sessions with different
> recorded regions.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

I built Ardour with DEBUG=yes. It still crashes for me when doing
operations on the right side of a region where I try to call the menu
up. Unfortunately, so far I cannot make it crash while I run gdb. I
did catch this running Ardour in a terminal:

mark at lightning ~ $ ardour
Ardour/GTK 0.9beta30
   (built using 0.603.2 with libardour 0.900.3 and GCC version 3.4.4
(Gentoo 3.4 .4-r1, ssp-3.4.4-1.0, pie-8.7.8))
Copyright (C) 1999-2005 Paul Davis
Some portions Copyright (C) Steve Harris, Ari Johnson, Brett Viren, Joel Baker

Ardour comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
under certain conditions; see the source for copying conditions.
ardour: [INFO]: No H/W specific optimizations in use
ardour: [WARNING]: Your system generates "Mod2" when the NumLock key
is pressed.  This can cause problems when editing so Ardour will use
Mod3 to mean Meta rathe r than Mod2

Gdk-WARNING **: Missing charsets in FontSet creation

Gdk-WARNING **:     ISO8859-1

Gdk-WARNING **: Missing charsets in FontSet creation

Gdk-WARNING **:     ISO8859-1

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 3310
(gtk_widget_set_sensitive): asserti on `widget != NULL' failed.
Segmentation fault
mark at lightning ~ $

I will continue to try and get a back trace, or at least find the
exact thing I do in the GUI that causes this.

- Mark