[ardour-users] newbie: exporting to mp3

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 09:52:20 PDT 2005

On 9/13/05, Brett W. McCoy <idragosani at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/13/05, Andy Joslin <andy.joslin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am new to ardour, and haven't had a whole lot of seat time, but so far...
> > I like it.  I want to use it to record for a podcast.  When exporting to an
> > audiofile, I see that there is not an option (out of the box) to export to
> > an mp3 format.  How do I go about doing the conversion?  I prefer to do it
> > native to ardour rather than running a convert utility after the export to
> > wav, because disk space will be an issue.
> >
> >  I imagine there is some sort of plug-in available?
> >
> >  Any pointers would be appreciated...  (reminder... I am a newbie at ardour,
> > but not with Linux)
>
> Yep, you'll have to use lame or something similar.  Why re-invent the
> wheel when there's already good stuff out there already?
>
> -- Brett
> --

As he said, he feels in his case that disk space will be an issue. I
presume that by this he means he doesn't have room for the wave files
since the mp3 files will be small.

To answer his question I know of no LADSPA plugin that does this.
There may be a VST out there somewhere that he could use but a quick
Google search yielded nothing since

VST plugin mp3

ends up showing you every VST that has an mp3 audio clip. This may be
a bit hrd to find I think.

- Mark