[ardour-users] It is not loud enough

Mike Jewell mj405 at oneupaudio.com
Wed Oct 26 15:37:42 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 12:42 -0700, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:

> It sure would be easier to have the scale be logarithmic, at
> least to me.  The way it is only 1/2 of the scale is really
> usable.  Maybe having this be configurable, if only in the
> ardour.rc, might be good.  Thoughts?

Have you used Audacity?  It lets you switch any track from linear to log
(dB) at any time.  This is incredibly useful.  Neither display is good
for all uses so you need both.  For instance, if you are trying to
figure out what your noise floor is, record the loudest signal you'll
see at 0dB.  Switch to dB scale and then you can see (for example) that
-75 db noise floor plain as day.  (It even lets you set the max dB range
to get just the resolution you need.)  It is one of my favorite features
in Audacity.  When I first saw the track pop-up context menu in Ardour
where you can select how to display the waveform (traditional or
rectified) I was disappointed to not see "dB" in the list.  It would be
a great addition.

Mike

Mike Jewell
One-Up Audio