[ardour-users] It is not loud enough

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Wed Oct 26 14:19:25 PDT 2005

On 10/26/05, Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc at doink.com> wrote:
> It sure would be easier to have the scale be logarithmic, at
> least to me.  The way it is only 1/2 of the scale is really
> usable.  Maybe having this be configurable, if only in the
> ardour.rc, might be good.  Thoughts?

That might be a nice option, but I wouldn't want it to be the only
option as it would break with decades of tradition of soundfile editor displays.

Now that you mention it, I've noticed that levels into my Delta seem to
be fairly low.  I haven't taken the time to investigate, but I suspect it
may be expecting a +4 line level and I may be feeding it -10.

Doesn't seem to be a big problem for audio quality, though.  There's plenty
of resolution in 24 bits.  I just right-click -> normalize each region
immediately after
recording it.  Works for my meager needs, and makes it easier to get the overall
mix in the right ballpark.  If I was paying money to use my "studio", though,
I'd want the owner to know for sure what was going on there ;-)

--
http://www.slinkp.com