[ardour-users] It is not loud enough

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Wed Oct 26 12:31:18 PDT 2005

On 26 October 2005 at 17:00, philicorda <philicorda at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> > If it matters, I'm recording drums and have a soft limiter on
> > each channel which I've set to just start activating at what
> > I think the maximum recording level before clipping would be.
>
> If the input clips, then it's clipped at the a/ds before the
> soft limiter has a chance to lower the level.

The limiters I wrote of are hardware units inserted between my
mic preamps (internal to my mixer) and my A/D rack unit.

> Limiting/compressing individual tracks and sub mixes while
> mixing is a good way to increase the rms of your final mix
> though.

Yes, I do that.  I spend quite a bit of time getting the
compressor plugins (I forget which is my favorite at the moment)
tuned up just right to result in the sound I'm after on each
channel.  A side-effect of that is that the dynamic range is
lowered some, and the mastering compression can be less to
result in the same punch.  Or, I can compress a bit more in the
mastering step to achieve that apparently sought after volume.

TTFN....

--
Kevin