[ardour-users] It is not loud enough

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Wed Oct 26 12:22:38 PDT 2005

On 26 October 2005 at 12:05, Paul Winkler <pw_lists at slinkp.com> wrote:

> > If it matters, I'm recording drums and have a soft limiter on
> > each channel which I've set to just start activating at what I
> > think the maximum recording level before clipping would be.
>
> I also like putting a bit of an overdrive plugin on the drums
> (I've been using Fast Overdrive from the swh plugins set, might
> try some of the others).

I hadn't thought of an overdrive effect; interesting.  My limiter is
only intended to keep the A/D in my Delta 1010 from clipping.

> If I had mic preamps that overdrive nicely, I'd probably do it
> at that stage instead.  (Mmm... neve.... drool, drool).  But I
> don't. Mackies sound OK for a lot of things, but they're really
> ugly if you clip them.

I haven't heard my 1010 clip yet.  When I clip my Soundcraft
board it sounds pretty ugly.  I'm using the Soundcraft preamps
with limiter inserts and direct outs going to the 1010.  Each
stage has it's own metering, and I try to keep everything as hot
as possible w/o clipping.  I'm satisfied with all but the 1010
input level.  I'm probably being a bit conservative, having been
through an early ADAT and knowing how nasty that sounds when
clipped, and how easy it was to clip.  I guess I just don't like
the nominal peak levels I get when the signal input path is all
set to keep a maximum drum strike from clipping.  I'd rather
not limit more or compress, but instead keep my original tracks
completely dry in every sense.  Oh the agony of compromise!  ;-)

Cheerio....

--
Kevin