[ardour-users] Terrible pain with Jamin

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Tue Oct 25 10:20:41 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 15:17, David Mulcahy wrote:
> Sorry for the last email clicked on the wrong button.
>
> Just one note about jamin, the standard mode is very cpu intensive but there
> is another option that uses less cpu.  I think it is in the preferences menu
> I am sure someone will be able to point out the exact mode to use.  I think
> it is iir mode or is it fft? I cant remember offhand.

    Bad idea - this doesn't work well.

> Dave
>
> On Tuesday 25 Oct 2005 20:29, Joe Hartley wrote:
> > On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 22:11:50 +0300
> >
> > "Marukqs" <marukas at hardcore.lt> wrote:
> > > My PC is Fedora Core 4, Athlon +3000, 512RAM, 7200rpms ReiserFS disk.
> >
> > You already noted that your RAM gets tight, going up to 1GB will help
> > a LOT.
> >
> > It'd also be a big step forward for you to use a low-latency kernel
> > that's been tweaked for audio apps.  Since you're on Fedora, I'd look
> > at Planet CCRMA at http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/
> >
> > I'd also look into an alternate window manager; the KDE and Gnome
> > desktops can chew up a lot of resources.  I like Fluxbox, but there's
> > a lot of lightweight window managers out there.

    All of the above is right on the money.  Another solution (which I
had to use last weekend due to too many tracks and too many plugins) is
to export the mixed song to a wav file then use

alsaplayer -o jack SONG.wav

run the output of alsaplayer into JAMIn, then open a new session in
Ardour with a single stereo track to record the mastered output from
JAMin.

--
Jan "Evil Twin" Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this
we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744