[ardour-users] Any advise changes I should make to this system?

Mon Oct 17 11:41:57 PDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-16 at 13:21 +1000, Andrew Johnston wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I've been a long time reader and seldom poster on the ardour list.  I
> have been using ardour in a very minimal way just for composing music
> with synths and recording into ardour with jack.  Now I am about to
> move into the big leagues and buy a live PA/recording hybrid system
> and I want to use ardour to record both live and studio work.
> Basically I want to make sure that during live recording that NO
> MATTER WHAT, ardour doesn't crash....as the recordings (which are
> mainly conferences and seminars) will be produced and sold.  Below is
> the system I'm using to start off until I can get more gear.
>
> Mixer: Behringer DDX3216 with ADAT expansion
> Soundcard: RME HDSP9652
> Video Card: NVIDIA FX5700 with proprietary drivers (My own)
> PC:  Intel Pentium 4 2.66GHz 512MB RAM, Asus motherboard (PS4SGX),
> with onbard SiS video (currently disabled)
> (This is my own PC to start with so I'm planning on buying a second
> 250GB Hard drive to separate my personal install (FC4) from dedicated
> audio install)
> Software: Fedora Core 3 with CCRMA setup/low latency etc etc.
>
> I am using fedora as at that is what I know best.  I use FC4 currently
> but I know it is not stable enough to run ardour properly...is FC3
> okay?  I read that I should be using the 2.4 Kernel for best
> stability.  So is it cool to downgrade the FC3 kernel to 2.4? or
> should I get FC2?

FC4 should be stable, or at least as stable as FC3. Planet CCRMA has
been almost completely rebuilt on FC4 for a while, should be fine. I
don't think you could install 2.4.x on FC3/4, there are probably too
many small incompatibilities with userland stuff. Early on I tried it
and did not work very well.

-- Fernando