[ardour-users] Any advise changes I should make to this system?

Andrew Johnston andyandtaya at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 17:13:56 PDT 2005

On 10/17/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/16/05, sonicidebass at netzero.net <sonicidebass at netzero.net> wrote:
> > > Mixer: Behringer DDX3216
> >
> > Why would you add a source of distortion?. It's critical to digitize
> > the signal as fast as possible (right after the mic pres), in my
> > opinion. You can then use a MIDI/OSC controller. Almost all studios
> > have analog mixers, but this is because of the way history has
> > evolved. This is the way I understand it.

> > Gee, I use the DDX3216 with the ADAT interface and Hammerfall DIGI9636
> >

> > What are you concerns about distortion?
> >

> > --
> > Jim
>
> Hi Jim,
> I have no first hand experience with this mixer. My concern looking
> in from the outside would be the quality of all the A/D's in the
> machine. What quality are they?

Sorry I didn't make myself clear enough. The setup I have proposed was not
complete. For studio work I will have a seperate TAMPA preamp for a RODE NTK
(when I get the money). This preamp has good reviews for quality and price,
and has a spdif output that could be fed straight into the RME. The
Behringer inbuilt preamps and A/D's are known to be clean and acceptable but
not crash hot for studio recording...but I'm sure they will be fine for live
performances & talks.

I'd have few distortion concerns on pure digital going through it.

Yeah once the analog is in and converted it stays in the digital realm via
ADAT module addon which will give me 16 tracks out via toslink into the
RME....or so that's what I can decipher from reading the specs!

Thanks guys for your responses...I guess I'll do a lean install of FC3, and
do a bit of testing with which video cards are most stable.

Andrew