[ardour-users] problem with connection to midi controller

Ichthyostega prg at ichthyostega.de
Mon Oct 10 20:03:39 PDT 2005

Hi all,

maybe someone can give me a hint what I am doing wrong?
I still have problems connecting a Behringer BCF2000 to ardour

See: http://ardour.org/manual/using_a_bcf2000

 * running ardour on "64Studio" (a debian distribution geared at multimedia on AMD64 machines)
 * now using ardour 0.99 compiled from source
 * updated the firmware of the BCF2000 to V1.10

Basically, if I just fire up ardour, I can't set up the necessary midi connections.
qjackctl doesen't establish the connecttion after I click on "connect". When trying
aconnect, I get a message "Resource temporarily unavailable" (see details below)

/But/, if I manage to have the midi ports of the BCF2000 beeing used by another application
/when I start up ardour/, I can establish the necessary connections. After this the
BCF2000 works as expected (can control ardour via BCF2000 and get any parameter feedback)!

any hints, pointers or help greatly appreciated!
Hermann Vosseler

--------------------
Details follow......

# just after starting ardour

hiv at flaucher:~/beh$ aconnect -i -l

client 0: 'System' [type=kernel]
    0 'Timer           '
    1 'Announce        '
        Connecting To: 63:0, 128:0
client 62: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
    0 'Midi Through Port-0'
client 72: 'BCF2000' [type=kernel]
    0 'BCF2000 MIDI 1  '
    1 'BCF2000 MIDI 2  '
client 129: 'ardour' [type=user]
    0 'seq             '

hiv at flaucher:~/beh$ aconnect -o -l

client 62: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
    0 'Midi Through Port-0'
client 72: 'BCF2000' [type=kernel]
    0 'BCF2000 MIDI 1  '
    1 'BCF2000 MIDI 2  '
    2 'BCF2000 MIDI 3  '
client 129: 'ardour' [type=user]
    0 'seq             '

hiv at flaucher:~/beh$ aconnect 72:0 129
Connection failed (Resource temporarily unavailable)

#
# now shutting down ardour
# then start some other apps
# and connect them to the BCF2000
# then start ardour again
#

aplaymidi -p 72:0 test.midi &
aseqdump  -p 72:0 &
ardour &

# after that (still while aplaymidi is playing to the parameter feedback port)
# I can establish the connections using qjackctl
#
# after aplaymidi has finished playing:

hiv at flaucher:~/beh$ aconnect -i -l

client 0: 'System' [type=kernel]
    0 'Timer           '
    1 'Announce        '
        Connecting To: 63:0, 128:0
client 62: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
    0 'Midi Through Port-0'
client 72: 'BCF2000' [type=kernel]
    0 'BCF2000 MIDI 1  '
        Connecting To: 130:0, 131:0
        Connected From: 129:0, 131:0
    1 'BCF2000 MIDI 2  '
client 131: 'ardour' [type=user]
    0 'seq             '
        Connecting To: 72:0
        Connected From: 72:0

hiv at flaucher:~/beh$ aconnect -o -l

client 62: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
    0 'Midi Through Port-0'
client 72: 'BCF2000' [type=kernel]
    0 'BCF2000 MIDI 1  '
        Connecting To: 130:0, 131:0
        Connected From: 131:0
    1 'BCF2000 MIDI 2  '
    2 'BCF2000 MIDI 3  '
client 130: 'aseqdump' [type=user]
    0 'aseqdump        '
        Connected From: 72:0
client 131: 'ardour' [type=user]
    0 'seq             '
        Connecting To: 72:0
        Connected From: 72:0

# observations
#  1) this second time, ardour is client 131
#  2) aconnect -i reports a connection from 129:0 to 72:0
#     but there is no client 129 (only one ardour process running at that time)

?????
:-(