[ardour-users] Re: Pre-Roll?

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Wed Oct 5 12:54:49 PDT 2005

On 5 October 2005 at 20:40, Arnold Krille <arnold.krille at gmail.com> wrote:

> I normally begin with two bars with just stick-beat or click and let
> the song begin after that. that way you only need to make sure you
> mute that channel before exporting :-)

That's what I started doing.  But, I'm sharing tracks with other
bandmates.  The guitar player layed down his tracks along with MIDI
generated scratch tracks for the other instruments.  I have that
whole trackset and created an Ardour project for it.  He chose to
have just two measures of click prior to the start of the song, which
isn't long enough for me to run from the computer to the drumkit and
get all settled in.  On the first song we recorded, I offset the
whole group of tracks by another 6 measures.  In order for my tracks
to line up with his original ones, when I give my drum tracks to him,
I need to chop off exactly the first 6 measures.  By "exactly" I mean
down to the sample in order for my new tracks to precisely align with
his tracks on his system.  I'm thinking pre-roll would allow me to
avoid prepending any measures to the start of the song thereby
avoiding the problem of deleting exactly the right amount of time.

> But if you are working with external tape-machines where the pre-roll
> is at pre-00:00:000 smtp-time your are(?) lost with ardour...

The only tape machine I have is an ADAT, which starts at precisely
zero.

Thanks....

--
Kevin